
Pull My Hair Out! That's what...Sigh! I guess I haven't mentioned that aside from my interest in writing about pop culture, I'm a an FCC licensed Non-Commerical DJ. All this means is that I can legally broadcast on any public radio station that is non-profit, I am assuming. Yet, no one is knocking down my door to take me under their wing, so for the past decade, I have considered myself a novice DJ who occassionally(once in a blue moon) gets a gig.
In fact, since 2005, I have been trying harder to get more practice since being fueled by a 2nd place win of DJ equiptment in a Virgin Megastore contest. Even though, I share the 2nd place title with 20 other people, I still blame the mixmaster sponsers for allowing me to slam on their computer equiptment for ten minutes in Times Square. My $75 prize was only used once when I had access to a PC. I had no idea how to use the product to produce tracks then, and I certainly can't use the Windows program on my Mac now.
Usually, my "MagentaKrush" DJ live act doesn't see the light of day. I've had 2 live gigs and a month long studio session opportunity, learning how to mix vinyl(yes, Vinyl). Its very difficult when you don't even own "Two Turntables and a microphone" but "just some random music on a cd player and ipod." I doubt my 100+ LPs will ever get pulled out again, unless I scrape together more $ for the studio session practice again. Anyone got $350? *Hears chirping and cries*
I have been weighing my internet options, but I need a mentor to motivate my madness. My strong points lie with playlists. I know what songs go well together, hence the entire point of a Disc Jockey. I tried to produce a show online, but I am in talks with teaming up with another internet radio station. Its just talks, sadly, as copywrite laws are a main obstacle. I should investigate.
I'm trying to rehash my announcer voice as well to go along with my DJ work. Practice makes perfect, so I guess my calling into Talkshoe, a live podcast website, and participating with various shows(uh, currently one) has been helpful with my rusty vocals(I used to DJ on college radio stations over a decade ago, it seems my radio nerves are just as bad, but are stedily improving-Hooray!)
So, watch this space for updates on my Djing, or lack there of.....


No comments:
Post a Comment