
SPICE GIRLS RETURN AGAIN-WHY G-D? WHY?
I hate Eddie Murphy, not because he had relations with Melanie Brown(aka "Scary Spice") and didn't face the music that he was the indeed father of her newborn baby(reveled yesterday), but because he went and gave her a platform in Hollywood. This woman can now do anything she wants in the press when a few years back, she couldn't get arrested and had been modestly appearing in such things like, on Broadway, in "Rent." Is it a huge conscience that the SPICE GIRL REUNION(!?) is now days away to being announced? THANKS A LOT, EDDIE MURPHY!
I love Public Relations in the Media, especially related to music. I find it fascinating how musicians can use the press to both promote their new albums and air their dirty laundry to the world at the exact same time. Nowadays, it seems that you can't have one without the other. Melanie Brown has now got the world as her oyster as the American public, who hasn't cared about her in a decade, will be tuned in enough to buy whatever crap the Spice Girls come out with, and think its their "Masterpiece." *COUGH COUGH*
I know a bit too much about the Spice Girls than I'd like to admit. I think they peaked commericially, crashed and burned, and now are better suited as solo artists. I'd much rather listen and watch their solo hits(don't ask me what they are, but I can sing bits of them and recognise some the videos). The idea that they are going to revisit their teeny-bopper images, is nauseating. England has the lastest version of the Spice Girls already-they are called "GIRLS ALOUD"....duh!
The announcement of a reunion has been grossly overestimated anyway...Back in the spring, three of the woman-Geri, Emma, and David Beckham's baby momma, Victoria had dinner and the UK press reported every incinuation that they were meeting to plan their reunion. WRONG! All they did that night was entertain the idea and Sporty Spice, the other Melanie, eventually stated that she wasn't going to do this. Plus, Scary Spice was living in the states and planning press conferences around the birth of her unborn baby-The story of her giving birth was more focused about proving Eddie Murphy as the dad-look at my daughter- and less about the "Power Lunch" the three others had met for around the same time(around April). I can only imagine the media frenzy is again stronger overseas about the new announcement this week. I guess someone showed Sporty Spice some sweaty money...
Are the Spice Girls really all that bad? Probably not, but their press is stronger than their substance. I'll listen to their music in a 90s mix and like them as a guilty pleasure, but only because I know that as personalities, they are as flimsy as they acted in Spice World. Kurt Loder fell asleep next to me during the NYC press screening and I had my face switching, if that is any indication that they cannot act, just pose. (Don't make me pull out the pictures I took during the Spice World press conference, but it was a memorable moment in my college press years.)
All I can say, is that the recent new 2007 British Invasion is not being given a good fighting chance. I'm pleased that Katie and Peter, have gotten a time slot on E! and it would be great if they could eat "the alien," Posh Spice for dinner...one can only hope....


No comments:
Post a Comment