Sunday, August 26, 2007

File Sharing-are we all going to hell?

I love BBCAmerica, I used to watch it a lot and took it for granted, until I got a bum deal with my new cable company. This other company doesn't carry the network. I am at a loss. Anything I wanted to watch recently has been a problem. I want to watch about four different dramas and I surely don't have $500 to spend in the BBCAmerica shop or amazon UK. Firstly, i'm not spending money on Torchwood(ever) and Life on Mars is easier to aquire living on pluto...I digress...
For an entire week, I had been watching the six-part "Jekyll" online. I made it as far as episode five and two web sources were zapped by the time I made it to episode 6. THE FINALE. Needless to say, I'm hooked and frusterated.
File Sharing is a touchy subject, even if you are for or against, you know that it isn't Kosher. I don't want to pull food out of the hand of rich television executives who don't want unauthorised viewers, but I continue to do. These people are losing weight and I am gaining free entertainment. It should be a win/win situation but I cannot act as Robin Hood's Merry Men, at least when the Sheriffs are in town....
The main argument that supports file sharing and monetary rights to the owners, is that fans will still buy retail material. This doesn't apply to me, because as I mentioned before, I don't have money to burn on telly dramas. Jekyll, for instance, import, I think is $60. That's $10 for each 45 min episode. Nope, sorry, can't help you. In fact, I have to be selective in my purchases. Say, I finally get watch the Finale and get angry at the ending, I'll be thrilled I didn't waste $60 trying to watch the bloody(literally) thing the first time. If I'm head-over-heels and the price was reduced, I would consider the better viewing and pretty packaging.
Are we facing decisions that will somehow justify seedy behaviour? Probably, but I don't *wink wink* know any Nylon sources that have music or videos. Really, I don't...

1 comment:

PammieJR said...

I TOTALLY feel the same way.

I wanted to get acquainted with Classic Doctor Who...but hell NO am I going to by the DVDs to watch them...so I have been watching all I can through file sharing pathways...bite me BBC...

I am sorry, like you, I just don't have the money to buy all this stuff on DVD...but wait BBC may profit YET from profit sharing...

I got $$$ for my birthday and bought my first Doctor Who DVD..."Dalek Invasion of Earth" from the Hartnell (1st Doctor) era...guess where I saw it first...yeah, free on the internet!

So go get the milk for free girl! We'll be in hell together!