Video stores, remember those? The place where we used to rent VHS and BetaMax cassettes? NetFlicks has seemed to faze out the local shops. I have a memembership to Hollywood Video. I've used it to rent DVDs probably once a month or once every few months.My strange roomate started acting stranger when she returned home with a stack of rented videos from the same video store branch. She asked, out-of-the-blue, if I wanted to see this Brit-com film about strippers. I played real stupid "oh, is it the 'Full Monty' ?" I asked(one of my all time fave films). I didn't understand why the roomate was trying to push the film on me.
A few days later, I went past the store and saw the "going out of business, everything 30% off" sign. I went inside and saw the walls nearly bare. Even soda was 30% off, sure enough, I saw the roomate roaming the ailes. Before I could turn and run, she ran over to me to apologise for not telling me sooner. I prepared myself to break the news to my mother, who had recently returned from a vacation(she normally frequents the store more than myself).
The video store suggests we take our memberships to other branches in areas of Brooklyn that would cost more money to travel to than to rent a movie title. Well, I figured I'd survive, but what would my poor mother do when she wanted to rent "out of africa" for the 3 millionth time?
Blockbuster Video is a ten minute walk from my house and I remember this when I took a different route home this afternoon.
Sure enough, the place was cleaner and packed with titles, but I just wanted a video card. It took about 3 mins to sign up, get a spare card for my mom, and quickly spend $10 total for 2 rentals. The lady who signed me up was awake for a change and did her job. She even knew I was a misplaced Hollywood customer and we chatted. It's nice to make friends!
Despite the fact I need to get a life, at least my mom will be pleased that I rent titles like "Oceans 12." Yet, this doesn't mean she gets to watch them...


No comments:
Post a Comment