
What a treat it was to not actually attend the special screening and Q&A for "Run, Fatboy, Run" at Lincoln Center in NYC(tickets were sold out and $40 a pop). Not only did I manage to take a few decent shots of the arrivals of the celebrities, but my friend and I got close enough to get autographs/photos with lead actor, Simon Pegg. Some other guy, named "David Schwimmer" was present as well, though I can't say he hung around for too long and I didn't want to approach him. Clearly, our "friend"ly encounter was with Pegg.
Simon Pegg, is best known in the states for his cult comedy films with Nick Frost like "Shaun of The Dead" and the recently out on DVD, "Hot Fuzz." He did make another movie, acting with David Schwimmer that was panned earlier this year (no offense, "Ross"...), but this time, the hopefully-coming-out-stateside-soon, "Run,Fatboy,Run" throws Schwimmer into 1st time director, and Pegg attempting to animate Michael Ian Black's (a 'VH1' staple) script about an fitness-challenged bloke trying to prepare for a huge marathon to win back an old love(Thandie Newton). Can he do it? How the hell should I know-it cost $40 to see it early, remember?
As exclusive as the actual screening was, the pre-press arrivals were open to the public because they were done outside the event. There was a portion of time for the press to shutter bug the stars behind the backdrop. Blocked by a small but clustered group, I got a few pics but decided to move closer and away from the press barracades. A short time later, when Pegg was recording an audio interview, I waited until he finished speaking and got his attention by asking for an autograph on a Doctor Who playing card with his character, "The Editor" from an episode in 2005 called "The Long Game." He recognised it and offered some related banner about "The Editor" which raised a smile from both us girls, who are familar with is connection to the new series as a guest star. Eventually, my friend reminded me to take more photos and I took a couple more, one of which another fan asked me to snap and unfortunately blurred.
Back to reality for a moment, an assistant came over to take him back to the photo backdrop as I was asking to take my own picture with him. Kindly, he told me that he would return after to pose for our picture. Mr. Pegg is a class act, the assistants wanted to wisk him away following his press op, but he told them "One moment, I promised a girl I would take a photo!"
I sheepishly apologised for holding him up after declaring quietly "I'm the girl!" and he was completely easygoing, which was a relief.
As far as I've heard, the movie opened in the UK at #1, but I suspect that it will be in limited release here. I was happy to get this fluke opportunity after seeing the event postcard while at seeing "King of Kong-A Fistful of Quarters." From King Kong yesterday to a Comedy King today, its been a winning week.


No comments:
Post a Comment