Blog post via popnylon.blogspot.com It was a monday morning and a bank holiday. A day when most Britains are off from work and enjoy their holiday by taking it easy. The night before I had been dreaming about attempting my monday morning race in the Barking Park 5K with an "Easy" pacing. The event itself turned out a bit different as all my race preparation days early had decided to have mixed results. I learned there is only truly the experience of participation that can prepare a person for a race (and a huge roll of toliet paper!). Luckily, the warm weather was bearable for a mid-morning race time. I had felt slightly rough during the weekend so I hadn't ran for two days. Also, I had been eating well and drinking vats of water to avoid dehydration, so I felt like I could get around the course pain-free. It was a comfort to have seen the course prior to the day and know I could not lose time trying to find a race marshal for directions. Everything was ideal. Not only was it my debut race, but my debut for Ilford Athelic Club, of which I had recently joined after training with their Harriers group for a couple months. I heard about 28 members had turned up that morning which was a great turn out for the event. "Ok, everyone, let's take a group photo!" said Dianne, subing as photog for the day. I couldn't wait as I wedged in the second row and flashed my cheesy grin. "Come on, Gary!" Dianne said trying to get my husband's attention to join the flock that had assembled. I had to laugh as Gary looked like he pretended he didn't hear anything. Maybe he was focused on the actual race which would be starting quickly and it was time to line up at the starting line. I followed everyone into the starting line crowd and didn't know how far back to stand. It is a great idea to stand towards the back as a beginner because fast runners will just jump ahead and psychologically you think you need to keep up with them. To be able to run comfortably, I assumed I should stand at the very end. My training coach saw me looking clueless and helped by asking a couple of girls with similar pacing to stick to the speed so I could follow them along. I was introduced to them as I stood slightly behind to trail. Our clubs race walker participant begain chatting with me, but for some reason his advice was a bit overwelming so I wished him well and moved over to the roads edge as I felt standing in the center was not for me. BANG! The race gun went off and about 100+ people were off. I started off slowly without much worry but was aware that I should try and speed up a little. I seemed to be surrounded by only women who were not affilated with any groups and the two women who were supposed to be similar paced runners did not stick around, turning into Flo-Jo as they were long gone. I couldn't see any of the 28 members of my team accept Dianne snapping photos along the course and I would occassionally give her a thumbs up. I knew where to run and that was fine. I also decided to try and pass a couple of runners during the 1st lap who looked slower or older but I didn't have much time to consider this strategy as I was beginning to feel exausted at a bit over a mile into it all. Finally, I got around the 1st lap and attempted the second. The fact that I had seen the finish line, but wasn't allowed to enter it until I completed the course again was dishearting. I was breathing heavier and felt like I had to stop by the time I made it down to the pond as I saw other women doing a similar thing-a walk and then a jog or run. The only difference was that I begain to run faster to pass the people walking and then I would have to stop again as the walkers would eventually catch up. Gary, who by my final 1/2 mile was standing up on the hill looking down to me at the pond road looked like a anonymous tall person in a hat. It was a great to get the rooting support, I just could bearly focus on anything but my own breath and desire to get to the end. I then had to get up to the hill that Gary was at and I quickly asked the race marshal how high to run up as I couldn't make out the correct turning point. Two other Ilford race competitors got into to the cheering spirit as they, like Gary had long since completed this race and were helping me through. I got really embarrassed as I felt like I was unable to finish and was going to quit as tears begain to well up my eyes. "I...can't, I...can't...*GASP*" I remember quietly protesting to counteract loud noises coming from Gary which may have been "GO!". I gave up the negitive mantra and just put all thoughts to finding the finish line which was all I wanted to clearly see. I knew it was a tiny uphill left to complete and then I saw the finish line ahead in a straight run. Personally, the end of all my training sessions when I had been tired is followed by the moment I like to call the time to "haul ass"(In running terms-a Sprint finish) and that's exactly what I did. Unfortunately, upon entering the finishing area, I sat on the ground worried if my breakfast was going to make an appearance. Thankfully, I wasn't sick but I needed some recovery time as I still had trouble identifying my husband, now holding my finishing medal. "31 minutes!" said Gary as I begain to figure out who he was again. The unofficial timing was about 10-12mins faster that either of us had guessed prior to the race. Overall, I enjoyed my first race experience as I completed the main goal that I had- Not to be last. With four weeks until my next race, I am happy that I have the time to train as I will facing a new challenge of colder temperatures and improving on times. Most experienced runners are usually suffering from some types of injury. I would like to be able to finish a race with less dramatic pain, and the ability to be standing upward as I expect to be taking more press photos in the near future....Coming soon, the Barking Park 5K press report from Ilford A.C. Will Meredith's race time be 31 minutes or 32 minutes? What, if any mention, will it get in the local paper? It needs to be seen to be believed!-Meredith Evonne
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment